Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Chapter 26 : What would you Decide?

Love You Endlessly

Part 2 @ Know Me Stranger 



Chapter 26 : What would you Decide?


Three days passed in a blink of eyes. Rituals after rituals kept Priya busy all the day and when night came she never slept. Evening nap, energy drinks and her inexplicable will power to hide made her look fresh even though she was not.

Not on the day of arrival but at night Priya was introduced to the room and Ram was re-introduced to his room. The door that led them into the room gave a view to the French Windows which opened to the terrace. The darkness let it alone, with the decorative lights as its only companion. Priya chalked on mind to visit it in morning. While Priya's eyes caught the flower chandelier with floral hangings surrounding it. She moistened her lips and ended up biting her lower lip before an involuntary gasp escaped her lips which caught Krishna's eyes.

“I will not take much time.” Krishna smiled inwardly looking at Priya then to Ram. “Ram what are you doing there?” His mother called him near.

“No I was checking with my precious.” Ram walked back to her mother and his eyes froze at the decorations of the room. “When did you got time to print our wedding photographs Maa?” he asked happily.

“May be first time in life I took the advantage of being Mrs. Amarnath Kapoor but for good.” She smiled again. “Stand by Priya.” Her order was taken into account.

“Priya.” The lady came close to her daughter in law. Taking Ram's hand, she placed it on Priya's palm flat. After which she clasped her hand around those. Under Krishna's touch Priya could feel the familiar touch that weaved around her palm sending an electric shiver into her spine. “Beta, today I give my life to you. He is all yours now. Before anyone, you have the first right over him. God bless you two.” Krishna Kapoor said smiling to the newly wed.

“Aunty. No one other than you and uncle will have first right over him. Not even me.” Priya said taking her mother in law’s hands in her.

“Silly girl.” Krishna smiled. “Maa and ask your bauji what he will love to hear from his daughter. “Now I take my leave and Ram your precious are all here. I just did redemption. I hope you don't curse me to change your bed to an Upholster bed. A Murphy was not comfortable and four posters was not for your age. Good night. Close the door after me. I will make sure no one do any mischief behind me.” She left leaving an embarrassment pasted on the face of the couple visible.

The nervous sigh took Priya's eyes to her husband. He walked to the door and locked it. He was equally nervous as Priya. He tried to chalk out what to speak to her. Finding no words his eyes caressed the room. It was nothing same; a perfectly groomed new room for a couple was muffled around the skeleton.

“Ah...” Ram broke the awkwardness. “Priya you change. I need to smoke.” He strode towards the French window. Just when his hand grasped the latch Priya stopped him.

“I said you not to smoke when I am around.” She said unhappily.

“I asked you to change. That way you will be not around.” Ram pushed the door open. A sweet fragrance travelled inside the room.

“Is that Jasmine? and Oleander too.” Priya took the fragrance inside. “Yes it is. Don't spoil such sweet thing with some filthy thing.” She took a turn and stopped at her place after getting a full view of the room, except a corner.

The loveseat sofa sat diagonally with a foot rest in front few feet away from the bravia, adoring the wall opposite to the bed, was a piece of class. Some throws in leather covers made it look classy. The hide away dine with a contemporary wooden table and four upholstered chairs, placed two metres away from the loveseat. An English leather finished eight chambered cabinet stood under the bravia. To its left there was a wall cabinet and to the right, most of the wall remained empty other than four photo frames, one was her in law's, one was of Sarojani's and other was of the two brothers, there was nothing but some premade marks. To the right of the Upholstered Bed stood the Double Dressing table with a large rectangular mirror on its top. To the left sat two Chesterfield Chairs with a coffee table in front. Priya's eyes stopped at the blank space above the headrest of the bed. Few marks there made her belief that there is some more props those are yet to be installed at its place.

With Ram still standing by the French window, Priya walked to the Hope Chest that sat just by the foot rest of the bed and sat down on it. She was about to speak but stopped at the view of the corner that remained hidden from her. Books in huge number were stacked in the wooden open cabinets which started almost three feet and half above from the seat built against the wall from wood and cushions on the top. A ladder was attached to the cabinet allowing it to move along its L shape.

“You read?” Priya said striding towards it.

“Yes. Rishab calls them my girlfriends.” Ram replied. “You change Priya. I will have some fresh air. I will not smoke I promise.” This time he was faster than Priya. He went out into the terrace leaving her alone. “Sorry.” Ram peeped in again. “Changing room is that side. I asked Maa to have a full wall cabinet. Arrange according to you.” Pointing to a closed door he went away again.

With a confused sigh Priya walked into the changing room and as said by Ram a wooden Cabinet with six separate sub cabinets three on each side of the stack of six drawers which stood as a border covered one end of the room. Her eyes caught under her own reflection in the oval stand alone mirror that stood at the one end with a three chambered cabinet by it.

Picking up her night suit from the trolley she walked inside the wash room.

~~


And on the third day after forcing herself away from sleep while Ram slept peacefully by her, Priya’s self-control failed. Unaware her eyes gave up and she went into deep slumber that night.

.
.
.
.

“No..no..please don't do this to me. Please leave me. I beg to you.” These all phrases under a deep painful cry came out of Priya's lips were pretty loud and disturbing to get Ram out of his sleep. Drawling he took Priya's name but it went it vein. She kept on requesting freedom. Speeding himself to a sitting position, he found Priya in pool of sweat. Her upper gown was completely spoiled. Sweat crawled down her forehead spoiling her face.

“Priya...” Ram called again this time clear and loud again of no use. “Priya...Priya...” Ram jolted her with a great force. He feared a bad health that made her hallucinate when she kept on crying out requests under her freight.

“PRIYAA...” Ram's forceful jolt made her awake this time. “God Priya. Wake up. What happened?” He helped her to come to a sitting position. Fetching water from the side table he extended it to her. In a single breath she finished the glass of water. “Can I get some more?” Priya's hands shivered while she gave it back to Ram. He felt the cold palm against his hands while taking the glass from her. After three more glasses of water Priya felt little calm.

“What was happening to you Priya?” Ram sat by her.

“I told you I can't share the bed with you. Why you? I can't sleep with anyone. No one. I get night mares. I can't take the breath of the other person sleeping beside. I can't.” Priya clasped her hands against her ears. “Please Ram let me sleep alone.” She hurriedly looked around. “I will sleep on that couch. Please let me. I will get mad like this. Please. I can't continue to have more sleepless nights. Please Ram. I beg to you. I will adjust.” She begged taking Ram's hand in her.

“Wait Priya.” Ram came close to Priya. “What did you say? Sleepless nights? What you meant by that? And no more excuse just answer me.” He had a command in his voice.

“I...I didn't sleep since our first night together. I just sat on the bed looking at you. I feared these nightmares only.”

“If I leave you alone can you sleep peacefully?”

“May be. Yes. If those....” Priya crushed her words. “I can. Please let me...” She tried to get out of the king sized bed.

“Wait!” Ram stopped her. “You sleep here. I will manage there.” Ram stood up. He agreed only to calm Priya arrested by her helplessness.

“How could you? This is your room.” Priya was cut short... only to be corrected.

“Ours.” Ram's voice stiffened. “Sleep here. I will sleep there. Just sleep. I don't want any more arguments about this. You have made me enough angry by not sleeping for two days don't make me furious. Please obey me this time for your good.” Picking up a book he walked to the loveseat and switched on the reading light he placed back from his previous possession.

Priya curled up on the bed and again slipped into a deep slumber soon after she closed her eyes. Ram walked back to the bed, putting the duvet over her he picked up her phone. He knew that she had face recognition function enabled in her mobile. But as a backup she must have set a pattern or a pin, he gave it a try. He switched off the phone and switched it on again. Bingo! It asked for the pin. First time he gave her birthdate. It denied. After thinking for while he gave the date he proposed her. Again it denied. Having another attempt left he thought for a long time. Remembering the trauma she just showed up with, and her hate towards him with a heavy heart he gave the date of that deadly night which changed everything. Bang on! It unlocked. He sighed!

“My luck! That day is all over you darling!” Ram bends close to Priya. “I can't get you till you remain submerged in that day. I will uproot it. I promise you.” Caressing her head he walked out to the terrace with her phone in his hand. Checking the time he thought for another moment before calling Meera. But then he dialled the number.

“Who the fuck is calling you this time; interrupting me?” Ashok said half heartedly.

“Who else can dare to call me this time interrupting you other than Priya?” Meera said without even looking at the screen. “See it's her!” Meera picked up the call.

“Priya, you unromantic bitch, at least look at the time before calling. You spoiled a perfect foreplay. Bark now!!” Meera spoke playfully.

“Meera it’s me.” Ram said with a hesitation after she declared her incomplete expedition mistaking him as Priya.

“Yo..you!” Meera sat straight. “How you unlocked her phone and where is she?”

“One I am her that friend who knew her most closely. And next one she is sleeping but not peacefully at all. I need to know something that I saw today in her.” Ram said.

“What?” Meera found Ashok interrogating her with his mimic.

“Meera, is she used to these nightmares? Or it's me only?”

“Hmm..” Meera sighed deep. “Priya can't sleep with anyone by her side not even Shipra ji. She is extremely sensitive about it. That was the reason I was shocked to know that she agreed to you third clause. And about the nightmares even if she sleeps alone it is rare she don’t get one! You have to fight with it.”

“Good night!” Ram abruptly ended the call. Striding inside the room, he found Priya sleeping peacefully in the same position. He remained awake all through the night for Priya. But nothing worse happened till 6 am when Priya woke up and he pretended to sleep.

To his surprise Priya walked to him and shook him awake. Squinting his eyes and drawling back good morning wishes he enacted well to make Priya believe that he slept well after the show down. But he failed.

“Stop pretending that you slept. Go and sleep for few hours. I will manage others. Don't spoil our reception party for sake of family.” Priya walked towards the changing room. After she left Ram remembered that he was yet to place back the phone at its previous place. Thankfully Priya took her phone back into possession only after she came back to the room in a pink saree and after Ram kept it back where it was last night. He was well awake when Priya left the room closing the door softly behind.

~~

A little waltz, greeting and meeting people, Priya aced that evening. She had managed to impress everyone around her, including that extended family who set off for their destinations on the next day. She went into an emotional break down after her family flew back Delhi. She chose to sit alone sipping to the newly added addiction to the drinks list. “Hibiscus Tea Margarita”. This exotic drink is prepared everyday by Krishna Kapoor herself for Sarojani. It was Priya's luck she was with her grandmother in law when her mother in-law served it.

“Try it. You may like it” Sarojani pushed a glass after pouring a small quantity in it.

“Tequila!” Priya exclaimed and was bemused to find the taste of the old lady. Grin crept on her face which she corrected immediately adding “Sorry” as an apology to her.

“Come on we are Kapoors. We are allowed to have desecrate obsessions and this is mine. Krishna also has hers.” Sarojani laughed together with her daughter in law. “Did you like it?”

“I must not lie.” Priya replied. “I loved it. Can I get the recipe as nek.” Krishna gave her the recipe but next day when she served the same drink to her along with Sarojani. Priya’s cheeks went red in embarrassment. How could she accept cocktail from her mother in law. Though she refrained speaking a single word, Sarojani shook her to reality.

“When this old lady is not embarrassed to take this from her daughter in law, and this daughter in law is not at all ready to stop her mother in law from consuming tequila everyday, why hell on the earth you are feeling embarrassed?” Sarojani smiled. “And Krishna just admit that you skip tequila most of the time with grace. Sweetening blows down my mood.”

Kya Maa... app bhi.” Krishna Kapoor always knew how to make a drink perfect exchanging few ingredients but keeping the texture same and making taste better. If believed to be true Amarnath fell for her culinary skills before falling for her.

~~

From the terrace the lights of the car showed up. Priya walked to the ledge and found her father in law stepping out of the car and behind his car came Ram and Rishab. Being out of the earshot, Priya couldn't hear the instructions that Amarnath gave to Krishna who went to receive him, which was a regular. But her expressions worried Priya. After finishing the drink when Priya was about to leave the room, Krishna showed up. “Your bauji summoned you beta. He is waiting for you and Ram in his study. Only you two we are not allowed.” She answered the unasked too. “Ram is waiting for you downstairs.”

Priya reached the concourse only to find Ram oscillating from one end to other around the couch on which his grandmom was sitting. He heavily sighed with Priya's first site. Faintly inviting her behind he walked towards Amarnath's study tensed.

“What you did now?” Priya flatly blamed him for the sudden summon.

“When bauji stressed alone, there is some serious issue. And why me it can be you too.” He threw back.

“We should continue with the blame game later. Can we focus?” she tried to show her intellect.

“This is your first summon from next time you will understand the pressure!” Ram welcomed a sarcastic reply from Priya.

“As in the nature's call!”

“Shut Up!” Ram knocked at the door.

“Come in!” Amarnath's baritone sent a ghostly shiver down Ram's spine.

The room was lit up with gloomy lights. Amarnath's back faced the couple who stood little jolted. Priya could also feel the nervousness building up inside her. When Amarnath turn to them his eyes checked something that they didn't know. Walking to the door he called out his wife's name. “No one should interfere.” His baritone echoed.

“Seat.” He turned back to the couple and took his seat on the huge chair. “Seat Priya.” Mentioning Priya in particular was an indication that he was particularly unhappy with her. But none of them took the seat.

“Bauji..” Ram opened his mouth to speak only to be stopped.

“I will come to you later. Right now I want some answers from my dear daughter.” He sat comfortably on the chair.

“Bauji are you unhappy with me for anything in particular?” Priya asked with a great courage.

“Unhappy is not the word I am upset and there is a huge difference between being unhappy and upset. I think you know that!”

“May I know the reason?”

“Yes. Before that answer me few things. Enlighten me please.” He stood up and walked to the window that opened to the garden. “Since when do you know Ram?”

“When he came to Delhi with you and Aunty.”

“Priya that I and everyone know. I want the truth beta.” The unaltered expression made Priya nervous. She felt her Adam's Apple trying to jump up. Her mouth dried up.

“I... I..” she sighed under her stammer. “At EEIT. We were batch mates, same trade.”

“Thank you for the truth.” He smiled and came in front of her. “Now second thing. Was Ram the reason behind your attempted suicide?”

“Bauji...” Ram tried to intervene. Amarnath waved his hand in the air to stop him.

“I asked you something beta. And I want an honest answer.”

Priya looked at Ram, who hung his head down looking straight to the floor. “I am not sure why I did so. But he was one of the reasons.” She looked down after declaring a half baked truth. Ram heaved out a sigh.

Amarnath sighed. “And why did you agree to marry Ram?”

“For my family.”

“Then why you turned down the previous 11 prospective grooms.”

“I agreed to Jayesh Uncle. He asked me to keep away from spoiling the arrangements.”

“Why you made a prenuptial agreement?”

Priya was shocked to learn that her father in law knows every little step she took to spoil the arrangements and failed.

“I wanted to ....” Priya stopped. “I wanted a weapon against him.”

“Last one who is Rajat?”

Priya took a step back and shivered. She looked disturbed immediately. She tried to find a support to hold. Ram held her from free fall. “Bauji can we discuss this later?” he requested.

“Make her seat.” He pulled the chair. “Make her seat.” Ram had no option but to obey him.

“Who is Rajat Ram?” Amarnath asked his son.

“He was also with us in the same batch. Same trade.”

“Did he beat you that inhumanly?”

“Yes.” Ram said after a sigh.

“I was the reason.” Priya said between.

“Priya keep quiet. Bauji is speaking to me.” Ram tried to take command.

“I was the reason behind Rajat and Ram's fight.” Priya said feebly.

“Why you took such step? Why you tried to kill yourself?” Amarnath went back to his previous query.

“Do you really don't know? The man who knows every details of my recent past actions and reactions to the development around me, is it believable that he don't know the rest?” Priya asked her father in law. 

“Ram, Priya.” He took their names under a heavy sigh. “I want you two take a decision. A marriage is the most sacred relation and when two people take it as a medium to take on each other it becomes a disaster.” Amarnath stood against the window. “I don't want to loose any of you but if you two stay happy being away from one another then stay happy don't nibble on each other. You two may leave now. Take time to announce your decision to me. I will manage the other people.” He ended the conversation under a sigh.

“Are you ashamed of me?” Priya asked before leaving.

“No. I am ashamed to be the father of that man who was the reason of destruction of a woman. I am ashamed to remember those days when proudly I used to announce that Ram is my son. I am ashamed that he is my son.” Amarnath sat on the chair. His voice broke before last few words.

Priya looked at Ram, tears ran down his cheeks. Tears bulged on his eyes. He held them back. “Come.” He extended his hand to Priya.

She might never get an answer to her next immediate action. Her hand reached his cheeks involuntarily. She wiped away the tears with her thumb. “I am sorry.” These three words made Priya more surprised than anyone else present in the room.


Until We Meet

Love

NB




5 comments:

  1. Hi Nairita what an update ...
    Mixture of rituals,tiredness,embarssment ,jovial, masti ,guilt,upset sad and sorry.
    Amarnath was so straight .ram is much worried for Priya ,I m liking him much now from past few updates ,hiding his sadness and hurt he wanted to know Priya ,support her n become the shoulder upon which she can cry and rely share every emotion .
    Omg Priya didn't sleep ,bcoz of her fearful hulcinations ..
    I loved Amar's confront to the couple and he gave an open invitation to decide what is right for both of them . Priya's wiping ram,s tears made her realise he has suffered in the past n even today living with his guilt ,but she never can hide her live for him she tried to protect ram even when Amarnath was interrogating ...
    Can't wait for the next update ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The married couple are now back to their city where they belong with their family. RaYa to precise still acting as strange but still the mother in law made it ease with giving her precious son hand to her daughter in law with full authority.

    The unfinished nightmares are still occupied Priya dreams which is unknown to her husband but to Ram was their when she need him other than her parents who are now back to their city.

    Meera still didn't told the truth about Priya nightmares to Ram may be it will come out later.

    A light moment Between three generations of kappors House hold including grandmother in law, mother in law and daughter in law which surely create a bond among three of them on tequila shots.

    Precisely from beginning when Amarnathji came to know about new paper article on RaYa I had assumed he know all tit bits of their past which included Rajat too but still lots of truth yet to be untold and mostly it depends on Ram Priya how they bring it out.

    A father was guilty towards his daughter in law for the one mistake his son did but still he totally gave them power to decide about their marriage future which seem still had hope with a wife is wiping out her husband tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time I m commenting here..
    Just now finished reading... After I finished reading of last two lines I just sat closing my eyes I imagined the actor Ram Kapoor enacting this particular Ram character of this FF..
    I felt numb.. without my knowledge silent tears flowed from my numb eyes I don't know from when when they started flowing... Such a marvellous writing... Hats of to u and ur depth of knowledge on language and story...Aisa Ek din ayega jab mein apke published book Lene ke liye line mein khadi rahungi..
    Now after Priya his father is ashamed of his son.. yaar abb to wo mar jayegaa yaar...kis kis se ladega wo Apne point proof karne ke liye ... How many tears he held back ... The story is so gripping..how his father came to know about their past..

    Now can't wait for the next update

    Yeh Dil maange more more and more

    Until then
    Bye

    TRUPTI ONKAR
    beingtrupti (twitter account)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly what to say nothing has left... Ram is taking her case on all possible way he can... her scare is deep & not going to heal soon & in easy way...hope one day Ram can heal it up but that will be big day for RaYa for sure but the thing which disturbed me...
    Is AK knows every truth of RaYa's past it's really good by him giving all liberties to RaYa to decides the faith of their relationship but my question is...
    Do Really Ram is bleamful all alone for what happen to Priya yes I agree he had her responsibility over him which he failed to complete nd now Priya is not leaving any stone to hurt him in past right now she is & was always supported him all the way she can by hiding their deep dark ugly past from both family...
    But the way today AK reacts after knowing the truth the way he blamed all way Ram for the conditions of Priya was right as he even suffered a lot as per Rishabh said but no one knows what he gone threw so feeling really sad for him nothing can be painful then regrets of your own people whome you loved the most over you... Ram didn't showed but he must be broke down after hearing this...
    Priya is melting for Ram which showed on last few lines she surly love him uncondinally but things have been changed a lot... I really felt bad for both it's really painful to read every time such a amazing tragic love story for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The much awaited after marriage scenario is totally mind blowing.The concern for Priya by ram about the nightmares n the deep rooted date of the devastated day is totally occupied in priyas mind n heart is painful to ram.
    The rapport which the mil n Dil r sharing is superb..can visualize each n every scene so clearly that ur skill of writing is appreciated.
    AK is another gentleman who really cares for both ram n Priya.. always u have written about the pain which Priya has undergone but somewhere I feel ram has also undergone some major painful days in his past..not to forget as AK pointed out about inhuman act of Rajat.. which means Rajat has hurt ram very brutally that ram may not b in a position to receive priyas call on that devastated day..
    The final paragraph made my eyes moist..I really feel very sad for both ram n Priya..
    The unconditional love which is covered under the blanket of hurt,ego n pain..
    Narita..I love u endlessly for giving us such a wonderful story n updates which makes us wait eagerly for every update day n night.

    ReplyDelete

Chapter 48 : Enough to be Worse.

Chapter 48 : Enough to be Worse. Everyone in the room stood stunned as Jayesh and Sudheer went through the warrant t...